How to Reduce Headaches Naturally
Whether you experience a throbbing ache, migraines, or cluster headaches, this blog post is for you! An aching head makes for a miserable day. And if you are not feeling well, it’s difficult to show up as your best self in all you do.
In this blog post and my most recent podcast episode, I will walk you through some very important conversations and thoughts. I want you to look at your health life and ask yourself some questions to find the answer of how to prevent your headaches.
If you can see how it the mind and body are all connected, then perhaps you will believe you can DO something to start preventing pain. Actions to work on the root cause, rather than treating symptoms only, is where you’ll find the lasting solution.
You have control over your life. You can find the Root Cause of your symptoms and start preventing them!
Conventional approaches suggest “slapping a bandaid” on pain that shows up, like taking ibuprofen or Advil. Your body manifests symptoms at the end of a domino-like chain. The first domino that tips over, however, can be tricky to find and takes a detective mindset to find it!
The following are potential root causes of your headaches, or the initial domino that is tipped over to result in the symptoms of pain.
- If you are living a high stress life, your adrenal glands may be compromised. Your body is in fight-or-flight and cortisol will be high. You may not always have the time to sleep enough. Adrenal glands impact the thyroid which impacts your total metabolism. You may experience a slowed metabolism as a result of this domino effect that comes back to STRESS.
- Stress to the adrenal glands may come from too much stimulation from caffeine. In addition to this, emotions allowed to run free with no guidance or management creates stress in the body. Proper outlets are needed to manage stress and emotions, or this will impact the internal function of your body.
- If you have a sluggish metabolism, you may have insulin resistance. This prevents your body from getting glucose to the brain for fuel as glucose cannot be pulled from the blood and utilized in the cells. Instead, glucose (sugar) will be shuttled to body fat storage AND you may get headaches as your brain is not getting the fuel it needs.
- You may have food intolerances. Perhaps this is gluten (a protein molecule to which many people are sensitive).Gluten, Dairy, Sugar, Artificial Sweeteners (holy toledo, flip your labels over and kick out the SUCRALOSE products) and you will experience a huge change.
- Leaky Gut may be allowing your blood to be “dirtied” and providing a pathway of toxins to the brain.
- You may be sensitive to dairy. I highly recommend kicking out of the diet immediately if you experience headaches of any nature as this is quite common in exacerbating symptoms.
- There is a magical mineral that feeds into over 300 enzyme processes in your body. It also helps facilitate restorative sleep while it helps repair processes in your body. This magical mineral is Magnesium (click here to see the one I take). The average adult intake I recommend is 400-500 milligrams. Magnesium is also found in dark leafy greens like spinach, chard, rainbow chard, romaine, collard greens, kale, etc. (though note: you will need 5-6 cups of these greens to get enough magnesium!).
WHAT DO TO ABOUT YOUR HEADACHES ON THE PREVENTION SIDE
Complete an Elimination Process:
Do the 10-Day Detox which will cut gluten and dairy. I suggest doing this twice, if not three times back to back which gives your body adequate time to get the antibodies to the food sensitivities out of your body. After that time, when you eat that food again your body will tell you immediately if that food truly was the exacerbating factor.
If you want the food sensitivity test, I recommend this one. But I say, save the money, trust your body to discipline yourself and do the protocol anyway!
If you have Hypothyroidism, make sure you’re taking the Selenium and Iodine you need. (Click here for my FREE masterclass for those with Hypothyroidism).
Start eating a PVF (protein-veggie-fat) based breakfast. I recommend taking any vegetables you want, chopping, put in about an inch of water in a skillet. Cook for 5 minutes on medium with the lid on. Add Kimchi* then let cook until the water is down. At this point, you can add some pre-cooked meat (like shredded chicken, cooked turkey breast, or cooked hamburger i about 2 oz. portions), then crack in 1-2 eggs and/or egg whites. This depends on YOUR strategy and body’s needs so I can’t give you exacts unless I knew that (good reason to sign up for a Strategy Session over Facebook Messenger video or Skype with me–email at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up).
*70% of Americans have Leaky Gut due to food dyes, oils, additives and environmental toxins, so in order to help build that gut wall, I recommend adding Sauerkraut or Kimchi. This will help build the gut wall, however, if you are currently dealing with yeast overgrowth, bloating, water retention, etc., then I highly recommend NOT adding the fermented foods nor take a probiotic until you have done my 30-day Bad Bacteria starvation.
Put It To The Test
Take each principle one by one as a guiding beacon on your journey. Test one principle at a time for 1-3 weeks and find what works for you. I can assure you the principles I share will lead you to the right direction.
If you are wanting to find the right meal plans that help you put the right amount of carbohydrates, protein, and fats in your body, check out my Master Nutrition Book. This book features over 75 meal plans tested and proven by previous Body Buddies women of all types. This book is a compilation of the most successful meal plans of the thousands I have written over the years. You’ll get meal plans that cover different styles of eating, so you can find the one that works best for you!
Keep going. Keep trying. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.
#PowerYourBody one meal, one workout, and one day at a time!
Love your bud,