Whether it’s a chilly fall day when you need some warmth in your life, or you feel a sniffle and cold coming on, Thai Celery Chicken Soup is a delicious way to provide your body with cell-building and immune system-supporting protein. And it’s super easy to make!
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 c. coconut milk (non-fat) — this is not canned, this is the milk alternative variety
- 4 c. water
- 2 c. mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 medium zucchini (diced)
- 1 c. onion (diced)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. Thai green paste (check the Asian food aisle)
- 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon (non-MSG)
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, place the the chicken breast–washed, trimmed of excess fat, and cubed.
- Wash the celery, then chop into bite-size pieces. Place in the pot.
- Wash the zucchini, then dice and add to the pot along with the mushrooms.
- Pour the coconut milk and water over the ingredients.
- Add the seasonings.
- Boil on high for 10 minutes.*
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.*
* if using an Instant Pot, simply push the SOUP button and allow the pot to work its magic. The soup should take approximately 25-30 minutes to cook after it pressurizes.
Make it a Power Foods Lifestyle Meal
This is a PV (protein-veggie) meal that has carbs only from vegetables and fats from the chicken. To make this a PVC (protein-veggie-carb) meal, consider adding 1/3 c. uncooked brown rice, blakc beans, or quinoa to the soup per serving (that means 1 and 1/3 c for this portion of recipe). To make this a PVF meal for low-carb eating, or even Keto, consider adding 2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) per serving to this recipe while cooking (that means 3 Tbsp. — remember that 3 tsp = 1 Tbsp.).
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Fats: 3 grams
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
Serving Suggestion 1/4 recipe (split equally between 4 bowls or 1 bowl and 3 storage containers–glass is best!).
I hope you enjoy this flavorful soup! Let me know in our Power Foods Lifestyle Champions facebook group if you have any questions, comments, or variations!
#PowerYourBody one meal, one workout, one day at a time!
~Kristy Jo Wengert